Hampton Court Palace
Royalty, fair maidens & glorious knights, great kings, queens and princes of once upon a time. If you love the great history of medieval England and want to relive the old glory, be one with its majestic history as you visit the Hampton Court Palace. Visit England’s last and greatest medieval hall, The Great Hall. Here, King Henry VIII displayed his most splendid tapersties — The Story of Abraham — which vastly spanned the hall while showered from above with the splendor of sumptuously decorated hammer-beam roof.
No less than William Shakespeare’s company – the ‘King’s Men’ – performed for King James I over Christmas and New Year in 1603-4 in The Great Hall.
Endless history and magic await kids from 1 to 92 at the Hampton’s. Notably, after 300 years in isolation, the Hampton Court Palace’s Chocolate Kitchen opens for the world to see. It is remarkably well preserved with the original charcoal braziers and much of the equipment and furniture still intact.
Another classic for fashionistas with with a taste of history is the Olympia Le-Tan the Great Gatsby Book Clutch. Paying homage to F. Scott Fitzgerald’s famous book, Olympia Le-Tan’s ‘The Great Gatsby‘ embroidered clutch is perfectly on trend. Each piece is one of only 16 made and features a limited edition series number. It is meticulously hand embroidered with clasp closure and printed cotton lining fabulously made with Hollywood celebrities in mind.
The Knights Hospitallers of St John Jerusalem acquired the manor of Hampton in 1236 and used the site as a grange – a centre for their agricultural estates – where produce was stored and accounts kept.
Excavations and early documents suggest that the Knights had a great barn or hall and a stone camera (room) that they used as an estate office. There was probably very little, if any, residential accommodation.
Early royal visitors
By the 14th century, the Hampton estates of the Knights Hospitallers sat rather conveniently between royal palaces at Sheen and Byfleet.
The grange was a perfect staging post for royal visitors. And new building works at Hampton Court reflected its new use as a high-status guest house. Byfleet was dismantled in the early 1400s, and the importance of Hampton Court declined at the same time.
The Knights Hospitallers already rented out a lot of their other estates and it seems that Hampton Court first became a tenanted property at about this time.
A courtier’s residence
The first tenant we know much about was the courtier Giles Daubeney, who took out a lease on the property in 1494. Daubeney was on the way up (he became Lord Chamberlain to King Henry VII the following year), and needed a house close to London.
The area around Hampton was also becoming more popular with the royal family as Henry VII set about rebuilding the royal lodgings at Sheen as Richmond Palace.
Daubeney’s choice of Hampton Court was rewarded by a series of visits from the royal family. Henry VII and his queen stayed there on a number of occasions and seem to have particularly favoured Daubeney’s country residence as a peaceful retreat away from their London homes at Westminster and the Tower of London.
Little is known about Daubeney’s Hampton Court, but the value of the property increased considerably during his short tenure (he died in 1508). But any improvements Daubeney made were quickly eclipsed by the ambitions of Hampton Court’s next occupant, Thomas Wolsey.
– See more at: http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/HamptonCourtsorigin#sthash.7UsEs3CA.dpuf